Tuesday, September 13, 2011

August 2011: Swaziland Outreach Day 3

Thursday

We returned to the community in the morning and replanted an existing garden at the child care center. Then we built 2 new gardens and seeded them with the help of about 16 children. They could not wait for me to begin playing with them. It was very challenging to play with 50 children under the age of 16 and as young as 2 without being able to communicate. Fortunately I had my new friend Kaza with me.

I met Kaza at SOS Childrens' Villages whom we are partnered with. He has taken very good care of me and the team. Translating to the children the games I was teaching them. The best part came at the end when the children saw I was drained from trying to keep them entertained for 2.5 hours and they began teaching me Swazi games....and some language. What fun we had! There are literally zero toys. The children make toy cars out of scrap wire and beer cans. So games are all they have and they have many. All of the games include singing and dancing. The talent in these wee people blew my mind.

Kira Gosselin
DWC Participant
ASK Wellness
Swaziland 2011

No comments: